The mission of the Guilford Free Library is to provide the greatest possible diversity of books, media, information and programs to meet the recreational, cultural and educational aspirations of all members of the Guilford community.
This mission is aimed at enhancing love of learning and enjoyment of the written word. The library serves through a welcoming and warm environment, friendly and highly professional services, and continuing outreach to those who are unable to visit the library facility.
The mission is supported by community groups and other libraries, and by new information technologies to ensure access to other collections and to information resources in Connecticut, the nation and the world.
In 1926 the Guilford Library Association began the long process of establishing a free public library, professionally staffed and available to all. The fruit of these efforts was the present public library, erected in 1933 on land given to the town by Frederick C. Spencer. Edith B. Nettleton was our first librarian when the building opened on January 23, 1934 with 5,414 volumes.
The library was expanded twice, in 1977 and 2008, and we currently hold over 120,000 items and circulate approximately 300,000 items annually.
Oops! We could not locate your form.