Thank you to all of the Connecticut authors who have submitted their work for the 2017 Connecticut Book Awards!
Submissions are now closed, but stay tuned for updates and news!
Deadline: Submissions must be made by 5:00 p.m. on April 21, 2017. Finalists will be announced in September 2017. Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony in October 2017.
About the Connecticut Book Awards
The Connecticut Center for the Book (CCB) at Connecticut Humanities has reinstated the Connecticut Book Awards to recognize and honor those authors and illustrators who have created the best books in or about our state.
The Connecticut Center for the Book promotes the written and spoken word throughout the state. It is Connecticut’s affiliate of the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress.
Eligibility Requirements for Book Awards to be made in 2017
- Author and illustrators must currently reside in Connecticut and must have lived in the state at least three successive years or have been born in the state. Alternatively, the work may be substantially set in Connecticut.
- Titles must have been published for the first time between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
- All submitted books must have a valid ISBN.
- Authors may enter more than one book per year.
- Anthologies are acceptable. Author(s) must have resided in Connecticut for at least three years of have been born in the state. Alternatively, the works must be substantially set in Connecticut.
- Books by deceased authors will be accepted only if the author was still living at the beginning of the eligibility year (January 1, 2016).
The following are NOT eligible:
- Reprints of books published in another year.
- Books written by staff or families of Connecticut Center for the Book, Connecticut Humanities, or members or families of the CT Book Award review committee and/or its judges.
ENTRY FEES WILL NOT BE RETURNED IF ENTRIES ARE INELIGIBLE.
- Each category will have its own judging panel of five (5) Judges and one (1) Chairperson, all selected by the Connecticut Center for the Book.
- One title may be submitted in only one category and judges may reassign a title to a category deemed more appropriate than that for which it was originally submitted.
- Judges will defer to the committee chair to determine the winner in the case of a tie vote in any category.
- Awards may not be made if there are insufficient entries in a given category.
- The Connecticut Center for the Book and its Connecticut Book Award judges resolve all questions about eligibility; their decisions are binding.
- Books for Young Readers: Includes Juvenile, Young Adult, Teen. (Open to authors and Illustrators.)
Deadline: April 21, 2017
- An online entry form and payment must be completed for each title submitted
- Payment must be received by the deadline to be eligible
- Seven (7) copies of the title must be submitted: One (1) copy for each of the five (5) judges and for the one (1) panel chair in the appropriate category, as well as one (1) copy to the Connecticut Center for the Book’s office, to be postmarked by April 21, 2017.
FOR COMMERCIALLY PUBLISHED BOOKS:
- Finalists must be made aware of and consent to the entry of his/her title for consideration.
- Books will not be considered without author’s contact information.
FOR COMMERCIALLY AND SELF-PUBLISHED BOOKS: Upon receipt of nomination form, entry fee, and seven (7) copies of the nominated book, Connecticut Center for the Book will resend review copies to the appropriate judges.
Connecticut Center for the Book
at Connecticut Humanities
37 Broad Street
Middletown, CT 06457
Fees for Submission – Entry Fees Based on Initial Print Run
2,000 copies or fewer: $40
2,000 – 4,999 copies: $50
5,000 – 9,999 copies: $60
10,000 copies or more: $120
ENTRY FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
Please complete the form and send it in electronically. This is important because the printout of the submission form will be forwarded to the judges and the electronic files (book cover and author photo) will be used for publicity purposes should the book make it to the finals.
Do not send a check with a printed form and other printed materials. If you must send in a check, please let us know and we will send an invoice. If you need an invoice, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.